Available 20,5 million euro for FYRMacedonia-Greece cross-border cooperation

Available 20,5 million euro for FYRMacedonia-Greece cross-border cooperation

The first call for project proposals of the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA) Cross-Border Cooperation Programme between Greece and Macedonia in period 2014-2020 has been announced, with about EUR 20,5 million available, said Minister of Local Self-Government Lirim Sabani.

“The IPA 2 programme funds projects in the amount of EUR 45,47 million, available for beneficiaries in five Greek and four Macedonian regions. The regions in Macedonia are Southwest, Pelagonija, Vardar and Southeast”, said Sabani at today’s press conference.

EU finances 85 percent of the project’s value, while the remaining 15 percent are covered by the Ministry of Local Self-Government.

“The main goal of the programme is to improve the territorial cohesion through improvement of the living standard and job creation, environmental sustainability and tourism development through responsible use of natural resources”, said Sabani.

He stressed that 38 joint projects have been completed thus far, with 14 currently implemented, totaling at about EUR 10 million